Tuesday, June 9, 2015

USA U16: High Scoring Guards Q&A

Gary Trent Jr., 2017, SG, Apple Valley (MN)

by USA basketball
Gary Trent Jr. won a state championship in Minnesota and then went and torched the nets in the Nike EYBL. The talented shooting guard led the league in scoring by averaging 22.1 points per game while hitting almost 40% of his three’s (55-139). He also went a six game stretch where he scored over 20 points in each game including a three game strint where he dropped 109 points. Trent Jr. did not let up in the tryouts and was an easy inclusion on the 12 man roster.

You were a late invite. How do you think your USA sessions have gone so far?

It’s been great. I’ve enjoyed my time out here. Got to see a lot of friends and players and it’s been great competition. I thought I played pretty well. Everybody that got invited can score the basketball so you have to show other areas. I just tried playing hard on defense, making the hustle plays, diving on the floor and things like that.

It’s obvious you can shoot the ball, but it also looks like you enjoy taking advantage of your strength on smaller guards?

I’ve always worked on my game so I can score all three levels. Outside, mid-range, and the post.

You played with Tyus Jones as a freshman. What did he teach you about the game?

Oh, man. Really, just how to play the game of basketball and how to be a great leader. I enjoyed my time with Tyus and I was fortunate that I had the chance to play with him. He just put me in all the right spots, and yeah, it was great playing with him.

What schools have been recruiting you the hardest so far?

The most recent would be Kansas University. Michigan State, Ohio State, and Minnesota have offered. Wisconsin has interest as well and Duke.



Markus Howard, 2017, PG, Findlay Prep (NV)

High scoring point guard Markus Howard had his work cut out for him coming into the USA tryouts with a total of seven point guards competing for a spot on the 12 man team. Howard separated himself early on from the pack and never looked back. He continued his scoring exploits from the EYBL (where he finished third in the league at 20.2 points per game) and mixed in deadly outside shooting with floaters, drives, and solid passes in the half-court set. Howard was also was equally effective on the defensive end providing ¾ court pressure at any chance he got. 
by USA basketball

How does it feel to make it through the first round of cuts?

It was really good, I just had to come in with the mindset to work hard every session and I did that so I’m really happy with how I ended things.

*Note - Howard made the 12 man team

What did you want to show the coaches while in Colorado Springs?

I was just trying to show that I was more than just a scorer. That I can play multiple roles at the point guard position and also I was just trying to prove and show everything in my game.

I saw that you were pressuring the ball as soon as it got thrown in during the scrimmages.

I was trying to set the tone defensively just getting down in my stance and into my man to force turnovers on their part and get easy buckets on the other end. It was really just important to show that I can really play defense.

How was the EYBL experience for you?

I mean, it was just a great experience. The level of competition is top notch. You’re not going to get much better than the EYBL so I think it really helped me develop as a player and helped me get ready for this competition right here.

Once the U16’s are done, what’s your plan for the summer?

Once I’m done with this I’m just going to be working out with my dad. Me and my dad will be working out constantly, just getting my conditioning up and getting a lot of shots up. Just making sure I’m physically and mentally prepared going forward.

You are one of the top shooters here and really excel at the corner 3. What have you done to get your shooting to the level that it’s at?

There is nothing really specific. I just want to get a lot of repetitions in. To become a great shooter you have to shoot a lot. Not necessarily shots you’re comfortable with but shots you’re uncomfortable with as well. So I’m shooting from different positions, coming off screens in different ways, and shooting off the dribble, so I feel you just need to get a lot of repetitions up and it’s more just repeating what you’ve been doing. 

You looked more comfortable than others in some of the guard drills. Do you feel that’s the case?

I most definitely try to work on every aspect of my game scoring wise. I want to be able to score in a variety of ways so I’m always working on my floater in addition to my jump shots from mid-range and out to the three point line.

Miles Simon was working with your group. How was it interacting with him?

It was just awesome learning from the best. I know his background and know that he was a great player. Learning from him was really just a blessing and I really looked forward to working with him.

I know that schools such as ASU, UNLV, and Texas Tech has previously offered. What are some of the latest offers?

Memphis and Indiana.


*Note: Howard subsequently scored a pair of PAC-12 offers from USC and Arizona with more to come. 


No comments:

Post a Comment