Tuesday, June 9, 2015

USA U16: Low Post Q&A's

Wendell Carter Jr., 2017, Pace Academy (GA), C

With the USA U16 team ready to kick off FIBA America action, big things are expected of center Wendell Carter Jr. who is currently ranked No. 5 in the 2017 class by Scout.com. He is hoping to follow in the footsteps of former five-star big man Diamond Stone who was the top big man on the last USA U16 team as he averaged 13.6 points and 7.2 rebounds per game.
by USA Basketball

You played in the USA setting last October in the Developmental Camp. Are you more comfortable this time around?

Most of the drills we did the same thing in October so I felt pretty comfortable. I had to get used to the altitude again, but once I got adjusted everything came kind of easy.

Your 12-15 foot jump shot was looking good in drills. Have you been working on that part of your game?

I’ve been working on that a lot. On days I don’t have school I put up about 1,000 shots. All mid-range. I want go get that down pat until I start shooting 3’s. That and my on-ball defense are what I’ve been working on.

What else do you do in your workouts?

On most of my workouts I do a combination of everything and the day before I go out of town I work on one specific thing and go from there.

This was your first year playing in the U17 level in the Nike EYBL. How was the spring session?

Of course, I’m trying to win. The 16’s and 17’s are completely different. Size, strength, shooting, the big men are more skilled. You have to play every game if you expect to win. Even if the competition isn’t as good as me I have to play like I’m playing against an EYBL team. That’s what I always need to keep in mind.

Who do you try to pattern your game after?

Anthony Davis. I love his game. I love how he is always working. Even when you think he’s stopping he’s not stopping. I just like the way he plays the game.

I know it’s early, but what are some of the schools that have shown you a lot of interest?

The latest offers were Kansas, Vanderbilt, and Wake Forest. Coaches can’t call me until June 15. So I’m just waiting until then to see who calls and who is recruiting me the hardest. I’m kind of looking at everything right now. I haven’t been on visits so I’m open to everybody right now. Jeff Capel is one of the coaches who is texting my coach a lot telling me how interested Duke is right now.  

*Kentucky offered Carter Jr. on June 2.



Jordan Brown, 2018, Woodcreek (CA), PF

While Wendell Carter Jr., will most likely see a high volume of minutes in the low post, 2018 post Jordan Brown should see plenty of minutes off the bench. Despite his young age, Brown turned a lot of heads with his play down low in addition to his all-around skill level and future potential.

What’s been the biggest difference between the U16 tryouts and Developmental Camp from last October?
 by USA Basketball

Coming back from the fall and having the experience playing against the older competition has really helped me out playing against the 16U team.

How have the USA experiences been for you so far?

It’s kind of new to me. I haven’t really played against the top talent in my class, so jumping right into it and playing against the top people from the class of 2015, was kind of new, but I think I held my own. It was pretty fun though. I think I can step up in a few places. My perimeter defense, better basketball decision making, things like that.

You’ve showcased a variety of skilled moves on the offensive end. What would you say your strengths are right now?

My strengths are my post moves. I think I have good footwork, and I really like to work inside to outside and I can knock down the jump shot and get by people off the dribble.

Who has been the toughest player for you to go against in the tryouts?

It’s all good competition. Maybe Carte’Are Gordon because he is aggressive and physical.

How do you think your freshman season went in high school?

It went pretty good. We went to NorCal and lost to the team that ended up winning the state championship (San Ramon Valley – Division 1). I also got Freshman Player of the Year in California.

What do you want to work on before your sophomore season starts?

I want to expand my range out to the three-point line. Really be able to dribble the ball through people. I also want to work on my explosiveness, I know the people out here are very explosive. I’m always in the gym I’m usually in the gym for two hours. I’m always working on my legs.

With one season down, who are some of the schools that have reached out to you?

I have one offer from UNR (Nevada). Cal is looking at me, Stanford, Pennsylvania, and some others.

Do you want to stay local or would you be willing to travel for school?


All over. East coast, west coast, PAC-12, it doesn’t matter.


No comments:

Post a Comment