Friday, May 22, 2015

The Kevin Huerter File

Name: Kevin Huerter
Height: 6’5”
Position: Shooting Guard
High School: Shenendehowa
AAU: Albany City Rocks
Grade: 2016

Background:
Huerter just wrapped up his junior season at Shenendehowa in up-state New York where he led “Shen” to their first state title since 1987. Along the way he averaged 17.3 points per game and knocked in 75 three’s on the season while being named second team all-State in class AA of New York. His father previously played at Sienna.
timesunion.com photo

AAU:
Huerter is averaging 12.3 points, 3.8 rebounds, and 3.0 assists per game for the 8-4 Albany City Rocks. He is also shooting 46% from the floor and is 29-69 (42%) from three. The 6’5” guard scored an EYBL high of 21 points against the Oakland Soldiers and has hit three or more three-pointers in seven out of 12 games.

Schools:
Kevin Huerter has been one of the hottest names from the spring AAU period. He is currently rated a three-star by Scout.com, but that is sure to increase shortly. During the second live period, Huerter noted the following, “I had in-home visits with Maryland and Marquette on Monday. Then I have Creighton, Villanova, and Michigan coming to my school and then I had Davidson for an in-home visit on Wednesday. Then I had Iowa and Penn State calling me.”

After playing in Lexingon Huerter was offered by Notre Dame, Clemson, and Vanderbilt. Syracuse also offered although they would want him to do a year of prep school in order to join their 2017 class. Other schools that have made phone calls include Gonzaga, Stanford, and UNC (per Chris Watson).

Huerter is a sneaky athletic guard that has a quick first step and can bring the ball up the court if necessary. He hunts his shot on the wings and fires them up with his quick release. Right now, Huerter needs to develop more in his upper body, but he uses his court awareness to get to specific spots on the court resulting in open shots or dishes to teammates.

Quotes:
“My strengths are that I can really shoot it. I can shoot it anywhere on the court. I think I see guys. I have good vision out there. I can find guys. I’m very unselfish.”

“My weaknesses are that I’m still just trying to get stronger. I just need to get stronger this summer. Get in the weight room, all the basketball drills I do. The heavy ball, ropes, that have all the resistance on them and just trying to get stronger.”

“I think it’s always been natural,” Huerter noted when talking about his speed. “When you look at a guy like me you wouldn’t think he’s quick, so it kind of takes people by surprise.”

“My personal goals are to get stronger, keep working on my ball-handling, and try to make another run at it next year. I want to get back in the gym with my high school team and try to make another run at the state championship.”


"When we made our state championship run, I had people calling my high school and AAU coach, but after Hampton that’s when I really blew up."


No comments:

Post a Comment