Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Troy Brown: A Triple-Double Threat

The Las Vegas Prospects are one strong weekend away from making the Peach Jam in their first season as an EYBL participant. A big part of their success has been due to the play of Troy Brown, the 6’5” point guard that is currently ranked as the No. 2 player in the rising junior class (2017). So far in the Nike EYBL, the Las Vegas native is averaging 14.5 points, 6.5 rebounds, and 3.5 assists.

Last summer Brown turned heads including those of college coaches and NBA executives at the LeBron James Skills Academy in Las Vegas. This year he is continuing his strong player in the 17U age group, despite being one of the younger members of his high school class.

“We came from the Under Armour circuit, so that’s a different adjustment,” noted Brown. “I think mainly playing the 17’s you have to get used to the physicality and the height adjustment, that’s really it. That’s the major adjustment, and also the speed. Sometimes I’ll make passes that I think are there but because of the speed they aren’t really there.”

At 6’5”, Brown tries to model his game after Penny Hardaway. He knows he doesn’t have the end to end speed like a John Wall or a Russell Westbrook, but he looks to use his height and skills to contribute in a variety of ways. Brown’s idol In Penny Hardaway coaches his namesake of Team Penny in the EYBL, but so far the two haven’t connected during the tournaments.

“No, I haven’t talked to Penny yet, but I see him and say “wow” when I realize we are in the same gymnasium.”

In 11 EYBL games, Brown has scored in double figures in all but one. His best game came against Boo Williams in Lexington, KY which also featured Matt Coleman, another standout point guard in the 2017 class. In this game Brown scored 21 points on 8-11 shooting and added 11 rebounds and seven assists. With the score tied and a minute remaining, Brown scored four straight points including a contested shot under the basket where he was battling with the big men from Boo Williams. He left no doubt as to who the top point guard was in the class.

In two weeks, Brown will head to Colorado Springs to try out for the 16U USA men’s basketball team. Based on his play in the developmental camp this fall, Brown should be considered the odds on favorite to land the starting point guard spot.

While Brown is a versatile player that has a size advantage on most defenders, his outside shooting is definitely a point of improvement which Brown is more than aware of. The current scouting report tells guards to go under the pick and roll while playing off to avoid getting beat off the dribble. Brown knows this and has been focused on becoming a complete player. 

“When it comes to shooting, it’s just my confidence,” said Brown. “I work on my shooting 24-7 and a lot of coaches tell me I need to work on my shooting so that I can be a true point guard and be a threat and get to the basket. So, I feel like when I get my confidence I’ll be good, but my technique is pretty good right now.”

While not a volume shooter, Brown has proven more than capable from behind the arc. So far he has made 12-32 from behind the arc, good enough for 37.5%.

Heading into his sophomore season, Brown noted that he wanted to average a triple-double and he also wanted to be part of the team that knocked off Bishop Gorman with their twin towers of Stephen Zimmerman and Chase Jeter.  Unfortunately neither of those two events took place as Centennial was upset by Palo Verde one game before they would have squared off with Bishop Gorman.

“My sophomore year went pretty well,” said Brown. “I didn’t get my benchmark of averaging a triple-double, but I’m still shooting for it next year. We had a lot of surprise players so I tried to let them do their thing. Overall it was a pretty good season.”

As the No. 2 ranked player in the 2017 class and the No. 11 ranked player in Scout.com’s Ultimate Top 100, it’s no surprise that plenty of big-time schools are interested in the 6’5” playmaker.

“Arizona, Louisville, UCLA, and schools on the west coast I’ve heard from a little more” said Brown when discussing the early stages of his recruitment. “Duke’s always at my games. Chase is out of Vegas, so when they were there to see Chase they would come see me as well so I have a good connection with them.”

So far this spring, Brown has lived up to his lofty reputation with stellar stats on a young and promising Prospects squad. With colleges quickly picking up their interest, Sin City will be a popular destination next season where Brown’s goal of averaging a triple-double might just come true. 


No comments:

Post a Comment