Friday, May 1, 2015

Jacob Hughes: Steady Improvement

It’s hard for Jacob Hughes to stand out in the EYBL playing on an extremely young, but talented Las Vegas Prospects team and that’s just fine with him. This past weekend Hughes scored just six points in three games in Lexington, but the 6’11’ sophomore center is just starting to find his way.

After a 68-63 victory over Boo Williams, Hughes noted “this week I feel, I’m still getting the hang of it. It’s a lot higher than I’ve ever played basketball ever in my life. I just started a few years ago and it’s really starting to pick up for me. My body is still growing. The game is slowing down for me. I know I’m going to make mistakes, but I’m coming in just trying to make a name for myself. I just have to stick with it, stay the course and see what comes.”


Despite being pleased with great size, Hughes didn’t start playing basketball until 7th grade. Four years later he is banging bodies down low against older, more talented players in the most competitive AAU basketball environment.

In his second game of last week’s tournament against Boo Williams, Hughes went up against Dajour Dickens, a long and athletic 6’11” center. He only made one basket, but in a short amount of time Hughes managed to show good footwork down low in the post when he caught the ball and an aggressiveness on defense to bother the lighter Dickens. Right now, Hughes’ excels at establishing position and corralling in rebounds using his strength and footwork. While he isn’t going to outrun anyone or dunk over a fellow big man, he does have the ability to deliver hook shots over either shoulder and can step outside of the paint for short face-up jumpers.

“I think that’s my biggest thing,” said Hughes. “I know I’m not super athletic like a lot of the guys here are. I think just working hard in the weight room. I might not be the tallest guy or most athletic of guys but I want to be the strongest guy on the court. A lot of guys my size don’t like to be hit but I like to do that to other guys. If they do it to me, that’s fine so I just think that is an advantage for me.”

This past year, Hughes transferred to Anaheim Servite high school for his sophomore season. The Friars finished 16-14 with their season coming to an end against Esperanza in the California Southern Sectionals. During the season, Servite played a host of talented teams including Mater Dei, JSerra Catholic, and St. John Bosco with the high level of competition only serving to further advance Hughes’ game.

“I play at Servite high school in California,” noted Hughes. “I just want to put my team on the map and make a name for myself. We’re not known for being a basketball school, we’re known for being a football school. Nobody really talks about the basketball.”

Despite only playing 10 minutes a game in his first EYBL action and despite playing at a football school, coaches from the West Coast have shown certain levels of interest.

“Cal has probably been the biggest one right now” said Hughes. “Oregon State as well. There are a few, some California and PAC-12 schools. I’m not really worried about it right now. I’m just a sophomore and trying to get as good as I can and not worry about colleges right now.”

No comments:

Post a Comment